O.K. it's Thanksgiving week and I'm ready for the holidays (Thanksgiving is pre-Christmas to me - I don't skip it...I just include it in the Christmas season). Here's what my soul needs right now that this season always seems to deliver:
1. Snow. Need to see one of my favorite creations falling from the sky. Yep, I'm praying for it (except on Saturday nights - it makes an excuse for people to skip church).
2. Family around the table. This t-giving will be just Sara and I and the boys, but it will be a rich family time (except that they have requested steak instead of Turkey - who raised these kids?).
3. Setting up the tree(s). One thing I look forward to every year is decorating the house for the season. It reminds me of growing up and all the family memories.
4. Some gingerbread cookies. O.K. my soul doesn't need them, but my sweet tooth does.
5. More lives changed by the Christ-child. I'm so blessed to see so many decisions for Jesus around here lately - and it just seems so special around this time of the year. It's why He came as a baby.
6. The thrill of giving. Jesus was quoted as saying, "it's more blessed to give than to receive". As in all of the other stuff he said...he's right. Can't wait to serve those who are in need in our community in a couple of weeks at IMAGINE.
7. to write some sermons about the birth of our Lord. This story never gets old...always amazes me and makes me love my God more. It is particularly thrilling that we are in our Luke series and hitting chapter two during this season (remember last season it was Deuteronomy).
8. A win by my Cowboys on thursday wouldn't hurt the holiday mood.
9. Some parties in red sweaters with people I like to laugh with.
10. A chance to reflect in a quiet living room lit only by Christmas lights and the glow of a fire place.
11. Seeing Grinch (the old cartoon one), A Christmas Story, Elf, Frosty, Rudolph and It's a Wonderful Life.