Monday, October 20, 2008

weekend

Ok, this weekend was another great one at Eastview. Ever once in a while we get a true glimpse of church and our invitation was that for this weekend. It was risky at the end of thou shalt not commit adultery to do what I did, but I wanted to encourage those in our congregation affected by adultery to know there was hope. So I asked those who had strong Christian marriages now, but had experienced adultery in there relationship in their past to stand. I knew there were dozens and I hoped a couple in each service would stand...well dozens stood in each service. How vulnerable? How honest? How humbling? How inspiring? I know this act of admission encouraged hundreds of couples. Also loved taking vows of purity in our marriages together!

But that was only the end of the weekend. There was an awesome event here on Friday night that most of you weren't invited to - it was a pastor's and spouses event (dinner and encouragement from Dr. Tony Evans - yes that one!) on our campus. As many of you know, I have a passion for working on the unity of our pastors in town, so I willingly offered our facility when another pastor in town said he was bringing in a guy like Evans! How awesome! I got to sit next to him during dinnner. He's a great, humble and godly man...and his sermon was inspiring. Again I was moved as our people (15 or so volunteers from Eastview) gave up their Friday evening to serve dinner to a bunch of pastors in town. How awesome.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What I love about our Church is the honesty that is taught and the fact that we do not turn our backs on God's truth. The Holy Spirit is alive and well in our congregation. Thank you Mike.

Anonymous said...

Satan does not like this. As one who stood during one of the services I can tell you that the attack today has been vicious and direct on our marriage.

Mike Baker said...

anonymous, stand firm. You are correct, Satan isn't a fan of healing and forgiveness, but the Scripture says that if we resist the devil he will flee from us.

Mike Baker said...

okay guys, i'm a dork. There were six comments left yesterday and today that I inadvertently erased. one was yours Ruthie (love ya) and another was Leslie (get on the eastviewchurch.net website and you can find contact information for me. The other comments were anonymous but cool - sorry for the mix up. Re comment if you want.

Anonymous said...

Great courage exhibited throughout the X series. Thanks.