Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday nite special (live from San Diego)

Well, a great weekend in San Diego is winding down (and as most of you sleep, there's still enough time in my Sunday to let you into my awesome weekend) and since I'll be at 37,000 feet much of tomorrow, you get the Monday blog a little early.

Sara, Caleb and I flew to San Diego on Friday leaving 25 degrees and flurries behind for some sunshine. It's not that we saw a whole lot when we arrived (the sunset at 5:00 and we got the hotel around 6:00) but we could tell from the palm trees and soft breezes that we were in for a great weekend. We were not disappointed! 80's and sunshine both days! Here are the top ten memorable things from the weekend:

10. Sara and I went to Point Loma Nazarene Univ. and watched the sunset over the ocean on Saturday night. Spectacular.
9. Caleb and I sat on our balcony overlooking the bay two nights and had great talks about dating, church leadership, preaching and life. I really treasure those times.
8. I ran 16 miles (still training for Champaign marathon in April) totally along the bay early Saturday morning in shorts! Even this kind of ludicrous (is that spelled right?) running is enjoyable when the sun shines over the water.
7. Hot tub with Sara on Saturday night (see number 8 and you'll know why I needed it) with a chill in the air.
6. Catching up with Chris and Lyndsey Hornbrook and seeing their new little girl Ruthie Grace. These guys were formerly the young adult pastors at Eastview and it's always good to spend time with them.
5. Lunch after church this afternoon on Mission Bay at a local fish joint. Great crab cakes with a view to the ocean.
4. Driving around in a really cool red convertible (Caleb had to sit sideways because there was no leg room, but he didn't mind - maybe).
3. A chance to think/pray/stare at the water/be still/read. It's good to say nothing and just be in the presence of God (and it's rare when I'm not talking :-).
2. Breakfast this morning before church was my usual routine - grande' Starbucks and a scone while I looked at the hundreds of boats docked in the marina. Very cool and I paid special attention to pray for my family at Eastview as I realized where they were in their church services. (I missed you guys, but not really the weather you were experiencing).
1. Preaching at Chris's three month old church (Momentum Christian Church - Google and check it out). There were two services - one for the workers (about 30 who serve behind the scenes when church begins) and the second for their church service of about 50-60 adults. I really enjoyed the cinema setting. The worship was great and the Spirit moved.

Words can't describe...great weekend, looking forward to being home. Everyone keeps saying to have a safe trip home, but I'm not the one flying the plane, so I'll sit in a seat as safely as I can.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Totally jealous right now--of your weather and your quality time. I "talked" with Caleb on Facebook this weekend but he didn't mention you guys were all there. Blessings!