Monday, February 20, 2012

more accountability

Accountability was the topic in yesterday's sermon and I failed to mention my number one accountability partner...my wife Sara. I believe this is the way it should be in a Christian marriage. We are in life (and for us ministry) "til death do us part", and so we owe it to each other to answer for all areas of our journey together. Money...I don't (and can't) spend any money without her knowing about it. Time...she has access and changing rights to my calendar...her emergency is always my emergency. Attitude...she speaks into my life about how I'm living out the Christian life (she has seen my very best and very worst attitudes...she's not afraid to tell me when I'm out of line believe me...and I welcome it..sort of). Spiritul life...she holds me accountable for comments, life stuff and goals I may have that seem to her out of whack with my faith. So, I have more accountability than I mentioned in the sermon yesterday...it starts at home.

But I do have "Timothys" - people in my life who are younger and in the same line of work as I am...I gravitate towards young preachers obviously...love trying to give them whatever wisdom I have.

I do have "Barnabi" (That's plural Barnabus') - Guys who will laugh and cry with me, pray with me, fight me and fight for me...This relationship takes time because it takes a proven track record and trust...I have five in my life right now locally and many pastor friends throughout the country who serve in this capacity.

I do have a "Paul" - someone who has complete right and permission to ask me anything and probe any attitude. I have had exactly three of these in my life and my current "Paul" is awesome...wouldn't want to do life without him.

I guess what I'm saying is I want accountability, so I look for it...even pursue it...because accountability helps me grow.

No comments: