Monday, February 11, 2013

Word

Okay, many of you have mentioned that you missed my blog last week. Sorry, it was one filled with some unexpected challenges...and I just didn't have words (a rarity for me)...and the time just got away. So thanks for reading and hope I can offer some words worth chewing on today. Special shout out to my guy, Tim Thul! Today's word is WORD. Of course, the first thing we should think of is Jesus as the Living Word of God...and the Bible, God's written word. I've said before, if you want to hear from God, look at Jesus and read your Bible. 'nuff said. I mentioned yesterday in the sermon from Genesis 22, if a preacher can't find a word about the WORD in that passage, he should find another profession. An only son, a loved son who carries the wood for His death up a hill. A substitutionary sacrifice, the love of a Father...can you hear God? This reminds me that our annual "Power of the Word" conference is coming up March 18&19. It is a conference for encouraging preachers and preaching of the Word. It is also the least expensive preaching conference in America. If you aren't a preacher and just love preaching, you are welcome too. Go to eastviewchurch.net and click the Power of the Word icon to register and get information. My passion continues to be encouraged by your words. Yesterday at the cross, two first time visitors commented on how they loved that I used the Scripture in preaching. I didn't know there was another kind of preaching! I simply don't have much to say unless I magnify the Word of God. When you give a word of encouragement about my words upholding the Word...it means a lot and keeps me going. Thanks for your kind words! Finally, our words aren't as powerful as God's words, obviously; but there is great power in everyone. Last night in the Atlanta airport, I noticed people complaining about the delays (I was tired and impatient too) so I made a deliberate attempt to say kind and edifying words to flight attendants, fellow passengers, and even my wife. It's true, a word can change a tough situation into a bearable one. How many people can you cause to smile today, feel good about themselves today, or have hope in God today? Let's see. The Word (Jesus) and the word (the Bible) and your words hold great power today. Hope you use them all!

No comments: