Monday, July 29, 2013

Do you like Normal?

Well, the vacation is winding down and that means in two days, I'll be home. For me, of course, it's back to Normal (literally the town I live in AND figuratively the routine of my family, life, ministry, and home. The good news is that I'm ready for Normal. I think this is the ultimate success of vacationing (or going on holiday as the Europeans say - I prefer this since "holiday" comes from "holy day" and ultimately getting away from the routine should be a before-God, holy time...but I digress) is that when it is over, you like the Normal you are returning to. For me that means I have a sermon to write for Sunday, an elder's meeting to approve the 2014 budget, and any number of unknown surprises at both my home and office. As for me, I love the "normal" I'm returning to. Here's why... 1. I love the people of Normal. I haven't seen my mom (who has lived with us for 17+ years) or my boys for 3 1/2 weeks. Really can't wait to catch up with them. There is also the awesome staff we have at church - the people I partner in ministry with - haven't seen many of them in a month. And finally, the church that is Eastview. I was so homesick visiting a church here in Phoenix yesterday that I couldn't stand it. 2. I love my calling to Normal. I am coming up on 18 years at Eastview and 6 1/2 years as Sr. Pastor. I'm still energized to do what God has called me and gifted me to do. I visit a lot of cool places, and frankly most of them are way more fun than Central Illinois, but the place I belong is Normal and Lord willing, I'll belong there for another 15 years or so. 3. I love the normal of Normal. A trap many of us fall into is to focus on the times of vacation and travel and miss the blessings of normal. Honestly, vacationing is just not real life. What seemed so cool 3 1/2 weeks ago, now is not enough to sustain my soul. For instance, I'm tired of eating at restaurants, living out of suitcases, and having no agenda every day. I'm looking forward to my normal Starbucks, my normal car, my normal house with it's normal blemishes, my normal kitchen table, my normal running route (Constitution Trail), my normal work schedule, my normal withering corn, and my normal ministry challenges. Ultimately, the design of a vacation should be to help one realize just how great "normal" is...and I have learned this truth once again!

1 comment:

Donna said...

Looking forward to you and Sara being back to Normal. Subs did a great job, though. Very blessed to have all of you who love The Lord and His Word. Safe return.