Monday, August 6, 2012

Another degree?

I really can't believe it and it hasn't sunk in yet...but I received a Master's Degree this weekend! The funny thing is that I always said that after my undergraduate degree in preaching, I would not pursue another degree. This is not to say that I am opposed to learning. I am committed to reading and studying for the rest of my life because I know that a preacher needs to be filled with other learned voices! So I have read a lot, but I have enjoyed learning on my own and not completing assignments for a professor. So what changed my mind? Well, a couple of years ago, as Dr. J.K. Jones joined our staff we dreamed about the possibility of partnering with Lincoln Christian University to offer some classes in spiritual formation here on the Eastview campus. Well, Dr. Keith Ray, J.K., Dr. Neal Windham, and Dr. Tom Tanner work tirelessly to make it a reality. J.K. would not only be our pastor of spiritual formation, he would also lead a master's program completely in our church building. Well, I didn't have many excuses left: I work in the building the classes were offered...the degree is about what I need and what I do (spiritual growth)...and my mentor and friend J.K. was leading. So I signed up. I'm not gonna lie. This was not easy. I already have a pretty time consuming job, but somehow by God's grace over the past two years I have read 19,000+ and written 300+ on the topics of prayer, scripture, holy spirit, spiritual formation, preaching...etc...especially as it relates to historic writing up to the present day! I have been blessed. I'm glad it's behind me. And, I'm back to saying that's the last degree for me..now if I can just get Sara to call me "master" - yeah, right! :-)

No comments: