Monday, April 27, 2009

rain, rain don't go away

my farmer friends and those wishing for the sunny days of summer notwithstanding; I have enjoyed the rain today. I do have a window that looks out on the church property and from my vantage point, it's kinda cool (I think the ducks on our property like it too). I know that everyone has a different viewpoint on rain based on what activities they had planned or mental state of mind they are in. For some, rain is depressing and gloomy and all that stuff. For others it washes out plans like baseball games and golf and walking on the trail and plowing and planting. But have you ever thought about what rain means to God? Pretty deep question, but think about it. Rain is God's way of saying to the whole world, I will take care of you. Two Scriptures to consider here:
1. Matthew 5:45 says, "he causes his son to rise on the evil and the good, and sends his rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."
2. Pauls says in Acts 14:17 in a sermon that God "...has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons..."

In other words, rain is God's undeserved gift for everyone regardless of their rightness. What an amazing God that can give a gift to the whole world. Rain is a picture of blessings and like the old hymn (Showers of blessing - which always got sung at my church growing up on rainy days. We were very clever back then!)says, "mercy drops 'round us are falling, but for the showers we plead" May you see God's blessing in the rain today and whatever you do, don't wish his blessing away.

Disclaimer: for my friends in Arizona, rain is this liquid stuff that falls from the sky sometimes.

No comments: