Thursday, December 24, 2009

two christmas books

On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, two christmas books. Last night I chose not to watch another bowl game that I don't care about and just spend some time reading. So I stoked a fire and read. At our house, we have some Christmas books we put on the coffee table each year as a part of our decorations. So last night I read.

Book One: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens is a great (and quick even for someone who reads as slowly as I do) read this time of year. It really gets at the heart of all that is truly important this time of year and helps us guard against those scroogish attitudes that can sometimes creep in (like being mad at drivers in heavy traffic...I'm just saying...hypothetically). It is a warm Christmas tale with a happy ending. May all of our hearts be warmed and enlarged like Ebenezer at the end of this tale.

Book Two: The second book I started reading and will finish tonight and tomorrow is a collection of short stories called "A Celtic Christmas". I have Irish heritage and of course there is a ton of Christian heritage from the emerald Isle. One cool Irish Christmas tradition I re-read last night is the tradition of lighting one single candle in the window on Christmas Eve as a sign that Christ is welcome at your home and need not stay in the inn. Anyway, very cool book that allows me to escape into some imaginative Christmas scenarios.

Well, it's still rainy, but the rain can't dampen my Christmas cheer. Really looking forward to this evening of sharing with my church family. Merry Christmas.

No comments: